Sherry’s Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Lo and behold, finally, my Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe! Months and many trials and errors in the making, I finally have something I love! I learned a lot in the process about spices, how they affect the tone and flavor of the sauce, straining vs. blending and more. I’ll be sharing those on this site in the days to come.
But first, the recipe! Be sure to see my “Tips & How-Tos” section after the recipe. Most of all, enjoy it – and make it your own! That’s what Sherry’s Test Kitchen is all about – experimenting and learning – so we have the knowledge and experience to come up with recipes that please us and our family!
- 4 Cups of my Tomato Chile Sauce (Easy Option: 4 cups of stock, 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste and 1 tablespoon Chili Powder)
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 5 cloves grated Garlic
- 1 cup Distilled Vinegar
- ¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 dashes Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste - approximately 1 teaspoon
- 1 slice smoked, uncooked Bacon
- Sweat chopped onion in a large pot in vegetable oil
- Grate the garlic cloves over the onions once they begin to become translucent
- Pour in the rest of the ingredients, cover and bring to a simmer
- Simmer about 45 minutes,stirring occasionally
- Remove the lid and turn the heat down to low, so it just makes 1 or 2 bubbles occasionally
- Cook 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until it reduces by about half
- Push through a strainer into a bowl and let cool
- Salt to taste
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer
Tips & How-To’s
You only need to roughly chop the white onion, as the sauce will be strained when it’s done cooking.
Use a fine grater or, better yet, a microplane to grate the garlic over the onions. This brings out maximum flavor.
That’s it – have fun! Be sure to let me know if you have any questions or suggestions in the comments area below. I’d love to know whether you tried it and liked it – or improved on it! 🙂 Suggestion for this sauce: use it in my Pulled-Pork Sandwich Recipe!
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe
From Sherry's Test Kitchen original and updated recipes - new & unique!